Experiencing unclear calls is actually after leaving you frustrated. If you experience a Skype connection problem, your internet connection is still an issue you need to consider. When you encounter this issue, don’t panic. There are simple Skype Troubleshooting tips to follow and fix the problem.
Below are some of the tips to help you improve the “overall call quality” and resolve your Skype connection problem:
- Check your Internet Connection Speed: Poor internet connection is the common problem when you find it difficult to get connected on Skype. You must have a download and upload speed of “30 Kbps” (minimum) for standard voice calls.
The Skype also recommends a 100 kbps download and upload speed. When it comes to HD video call, 1.2 Mbps is the minimum speed and 1.5 Mbps is the recommended speed. If you want to check your current connection speed, you must initiate a call and click on the CHECK SETTINGS button and select the TEST NOW button.
If the internet connection is not that “fast enough” to support your call, its best to close the application and pause for uploads or downloads. You also have to keep in mind that connect problem originates from the “other end of the call”.
- Upgrade Computer Software and Skype: The older version of Skype causes connection problem particularly when used with a newer operating system. You need to make use of the most up to date version for you to take advantage of the new bug fixes and technology.
If you are using windows 8 and you are after checking on the updates, simply open the Home Screen and tap the Store tile. And then, choose the updates link. If a newer version is available, you can start seeing it on your updates section. Tap the tile and follow the prompts to finish the installation. In addition, Skye also suggests installing the newest software update for the operating system.
- Confirming Credit Availability of Skype: If you find it difficult connecting to a mobile phone or a land line, the problem may be due to the “insufficient credit”. Ensure to check your credit by selecting account from your Skype menu.
Those who have subscription but still are not able to connect may need to verify the geographical location and the number that they are trying to call. This simply falls within your plan coverage. There are some subscriptions that mainly cover specific phone number and cities. If you have a limited subscription, then upgrade the Skype credit or subscription to make a call.
- Verify your Skype Functionality: Most of the time, the connection problem occurs because of Skype. You can check the Heartbeat blog for the standard troubleshooting since this is where Skype publishes their status of services. Look for the icons at the top of the blog that represent the Skype number, the Skype SMS, the Voice Messaging and the Call Phones. The status of the following services will directly appear under each icon.
- Close other Program or Website: Streaming video or audio, file sharing application and having web browser opened are among those things that cause interruption. As this simply eats up the bandwidth, you need to close them. The Skype can now be used again!
If you want more tips on Skype for iPad or iPhone then you can follow our guide on how to : Create Skype account, Use Skype, Delete skype account, Share Screen, Skype Push to Talk, Conference call, Fix Microphone Problem and Skype for Business info.